A Little More Mascara


La Cage Aux Folles is another Jerry Herman score, based on the French movie, The Bird Cage.  A Little More Mascara sings of how the lead drag queen, whose name I've forgotten, deals with the harshness of life. 

I have to admit, I didn't originally intend for this queen to be ethnic.  I sort of think she looks black, but she also looks a little hispanic.  It's unusual casting for this musical, so I kept it.  Since the original production has its roots in France, perhaps she's creole.  Mme. is meant to be blowing a kiss, but I think the thumb is up too high for that to make sense.  I'm still working on making up hands w/o reference.

All in all, I was pleased with this illustration.  She looks like she might better belong in Dream Girls, but...seal of approval here.

No comments:

Post a Comment