The Lonely Goatherd


This song from The Sound of Music just pleases me to no end!  Who doesn't like yodeling?

As I worked up this image, it was the first time I felt like I'd started a real illustration.  Character, setting, composition, story--at long last I was doing more than just creating a character study.

Also, it should be noted, I learned how to mix computer color in Illustrator many years ago, and so I rely heavily on CMYK slider bars.  This was a refresher course.  Yes, the values are horrible--it took me a few more weeks to gain better perspective in that department, but this piece was a benchmark featuring: many characters, a full scene and a story.  They probably are difficult to see, but the Maiden with 'pale pink coat' is surrounded by round little chickens I had the greatest time painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment