Around the World


I have a special connection to Grey Gardens.  Not only is it one of my favorite films of all time, but I saw this show under distressing circumstances.  After a surprise ice storm, and a miserable 17 hours at JFK airport, I was trapped in NY after a conference for an extra three days.  Sure, sure.  New York is beautiful, and who minds staying longer, right?  But it's expensive.  I'd been meaning to see Grey Gardens, but feared it might not be all that good.  On my first extra night, I had the choice to leave the city for Philadelphia, in hopes of an easier flight out there, sooner, or attend the show and take my chances with the reservation I'd made for a few days later.  I stayed, and it was one of the best evenings of theater ever.  I had fantastic seats, an enjoyable conversation, and internal tension that did nothing but enhance the drama of the show.  No regrets.


Grey Gardens follows the aristocratic Beales, cousins of Jackie O, and their financial descent into squalor.  The documentary does a better job of showing how lovable Big and Little Edie are.  But the show is worthy of attention too.

No comments:

Post a Comment