Chava Ballet Sequence


Even more closeups!  Fiddler on the Roof has been a long time coming.  It's a favorite musical, but as I've combed through the possible shows each day, no song from  it has ever felt quite right.  On stage Tevye says goodbye to his daughters one by one; each having selected a husband he did not get the chance to pick.  He forgives his first two children, but the third daughter leaves with a man he can not accept--someone not jewish.  He is insanely angry, and yet he also is sad, mournful and yearning for the young daughter he's losing.

I paint to movies and I had Giant running in the background while putting the painting in here.  It's an interesting juxtaposition as some of the same themes run through each.  I wish my Tevye looked a little bit sadder, or more hurt, but I think it's strangely appropriate that what he seems to give off more than any other trait is love.  That theme probably dominates this song, and this show more than any alternative.

No comments:

Post a Comment