Don't be the Bunny


I didn't believe I'd be able to sneak any animals in clothing into this project, and Urinetown seemed hardly the most likely candidate.  The show is about a dystopian universe where you have to pay exorbitant amounts of money to use the restroom.  The mayor of the city sings about being the hunter, not the hunted and describes all the different types of bunnies, or suckers, there are in the world.

I like the color palette here.  Paying to use a toll road of death also appealed to me, conceptually.  Originally it was going to be a two way road with one lane and another car approaching through the tunnel, but then I was reminded of Mr Toad's Wild Ride.  If I had it to do over, I'd add something in the foreground so that the tollbooth didn't look so stark, but on the whole, I'm pleased.  I like the car and the yellow-y mountains.  Urinetown was the first production I ever saw on Broadway-proper!

No comments:

Post a Comment