Willing to Ride


Steel Pier is not Kander and Ebb's best known show.  But I was very much in the mood to paint a ghost story, and this, aside from Carousel, was the only production I could think of that most earnestly fit the bill.  Steel Pier is a mixture of the movies Always and They Shoot Horses, Don't They.  Our ingenue is a ringer for a marathon dance contest, haunted by a stunt airplane pilot with only three weeks left to make up for the life he lost.  Willing to Ride comes at the opening of the show and describes the life changes coming around the corner.

As for technique?  I'd need another hour and different plan of attack to make that ferris wheel sing.  But I like the faded color scheme, which is purposeful as I continue to experiment.  Also,  I was aiming for a wider scope, compositionally.  I'm wanting to emphasize variety in subject matter and not just create variations on a theme.

No comments:

Post a Comment