I'm Alive


For those of you keeping score, you'll notice the recent titles have read 'You Were Dead You Know', 'Memory', 'I'm Alive', and a second 'I'm Alive'.  This one comes from Next to Normal, a recent musical about a woman with schizophrenia.  She's lost touch with reality and the figure of her perfect son is destroying family life.

I was playing more with a style I'd started back with How to Succeed in Business without Really Trying.  I like this weird, cubist purple-green light that feels a little over-digital.  Her mind is fragmented, so conceptually, it felt right.  I only regret that I didn't make her head just a little blockier.  She sticks out as though she's in a different painting, not just a different world.  I wrestled with whether or not to include even a hint of her lips, but in the end, I wanted that cropping to feel as uncomfortable as possible, so I included it.

No comments:

Post a Comment